View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtodogs View Post
I considered the Kindle then (2009), but liked the Sony because I could use SD cards (I like separate cards for favorite authors/genre/collections.)
You can store books in "collections" on the Kindle to make locating your books easier. You can set up collections by author, by subject, or any other grouping you choose. Carrying around separate memory cards to keep collections separate seems like an unnecessary expense/trouble. Any Kindle has enough memory for well over 1000 books. How many do you really need to carry around with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtodogs View Post
OK, I actually DO have a point to this thread, and here it is.... which Kindle should I get????
If you get a touchscreen kindle you'll have to clean the screen more often than one that has buttons. If you're going to enter text a lot, either the touch or the K3 would be best, however, don't expect to be able to type on them. Even if the keyboard is a qwerty layout, the buttons used are not anything you could use to type, and typing on a touchscreen is not going to work either, no matter who makes the device.

If you want to carry a bunch of music I suggest you look into adding memory to your phone. A 16 GB SDHC memory card only costs about $20 these days and a phone is a lot handier than a Kindle and probably a lot more functional for music playback. You'll probably have your phone with you everywhere you go but you're less likely to carry an e-book reader everywhere you go.

Download a copy of Calibre (it's free!) here: http://calibre-ebook.com/
It can convert epub files to the Kindle friendly mobi format (as well as other formats) and it is a good e-book management/backup for your e-reader.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote