View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
draconic
draconic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Quotes, apostrophes, what a pain.

I have a book I'm trying to convert from mobi to epub - but in both formats, original and converted, all the quotes and apostrophes and other such items are there and visible when the epub is exploded and viewed in HTML, but they're formatted like:

-----
|00|
|93|
-----

..for quotes, and 92 for apostrophes, etc. On the nook, they just show up as question marks.

Is there any way to tell Calibre what kind of encoding this uses and to replace number x with quotes, y with apostrophes, etc?

Thank you for the wonderful program and all the help. I apologize if this has been asked before, but searching for the specific character above in question just results in me searching for an open quote.

edit: i'd be happy to post the epub here, but i'm not sure how this forum feels about copyright issues, etc. let me know!

edit2: after exploding and viewing the epub in html, in notepad, the symbols aren't visible. in wordpad, they're all sorts of crazy. in dreamweaver, they're invisible. but in firefox, they're like those numbers above.

Last edited by draconic; 06-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.
draconic is offline   Reply With Quote