View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
OK, I'm confused. is it your contention that Amazon is ripping this content from the Newsweek site, selling it, and pocketing all the money? Does that seem to you to be something a big company like the Washington Post would tolerate?

Also, if that were the business model why would Amazon only have 9 magazines available. There are tons of magazines on the web and Amazon could rip content from all of them and sell it. Of course they might have to charge a little more to cover all the lawyers they'd need.

I'm sorry, your rants on this subject come across as sour grapes. You're happy with your Sony. You're happy with your free content. Amazon is not ripping you off for content. Relax, enjoy yourself, and leave us suckers alone!

Bob
The Washington Post has decided to adopt a business model for Newsweek where they make content available for free to their readers and make their money on adverts. They want more people to read Newsweek, for free so they can sell their ads at higher prices. If Amazon had instead offered the magazine in ebook form, with ads embedded, they would have been serving both their customers and Newsweek.

And if you dislike reading my "rants" on the subject, ignore them, or better, put me on your ignore list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote