View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
First, I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked 'How?'
OK. It is hard to know peoples knowledge level. Since you have written that you install a lot of program programs and run things in command line interface I had misjudged it. Also if you read this forum it has been described here how to do it.

Quote:
Second, this is *MY* Cybook, not some throwaway I can test to destruction. If it goes down I LOSE my main reading source! So I'm not that willing to just willy-nilly poke and prod until it breaks - unless it's already failed to the point of uselessness as is.
Since you have the firmware reinstallation procedure what do you think can go wrong when you examine the internal disk that cannot be restored by that?

Quote:
Third, I'm using a WinXP machine and I've never had to 'unmount' the Cybook before unplugging it. Believe me, I've plugged and unplugged the previous one well over 1,000 times and this one over 100 times. What I always do when I'm tranferring book files across, is do the transfer and then clean up the old files I want to remove and then let it sit there soaking up electrons for a good long while.
If you have never done "safely remove hardware" then I would expect you files systems to become corrupted. I thought you read these forums and had seen that "unmount" is the same as "safely remove hardware". Letting it sit a long time is no guarantee for correct writing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote