View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
These stories have been criticized that his style became too mature and that trying to put so much detail and knowledge about Hawaii into the stories helped distract from a tighter plot. By contrast the earlier stories of his career were more of a direct style with mass appeal.
That's very interesting. I'm only two stories in so far but I really enjoy the 'detail' of the stories and think they create a very good atmosphere which I really love. I felt I could strongly and quickly imagine the world he was describing in a very enchanting way, which isn't always the case for me. So it's interesting that he was criticised for it. I've never read any of his other writing yet but that sounds like perhaps he allowed his writing to become more languid later on.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote