View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #32
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Ha! As I said earlier, what I like about this Club is the courtesy of the members, and speaking personally, I would be happy to accept the group's verdict that a book does not qualify as literature.

Of course, the other way is what happened with this month's vote, where a book perceived by people as not qualifying as literature simply didn't get up.
Yes, I agree with you.

The definition of literature varies and of course it has a subjective aspect. I am rather an omnivore when reading, but I cherish the books that make me think, that are able to show me an aspect of thought that I didn't consider before.

And one doesn't have to agree with the writer's work to aknowledge the literary merit of a book. I think of Nabokov's Lolita, which is literature, even when I felt a bit uncomfortable reading the thoughts of the actor. But this doesn't have to be a reason to not consider it for any ( adult) bookclub.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote