View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
nyCecilia
Enthusiast
nyCecilia began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge and PE
Yet another Which One? question

I have an Entourage Edge Dualbook (10") that I picked up used to be a single purpose machine (music reader) and never figured I'd want to get an ereader for reading ebooks, but here I am...it's taken me a while to get to this because there's so much info and it changes so quickly, so I was kinda wondering what people might suggest for me.

I'm thinking that I'm looking for a companion to my little Win7 netbook that travels with me. The Dualbook won't work for me in this case because it's too big and is Android (I'm not anti android but there are some programs I need that I can't run on it so it's not ideal for travelling), so I'd have to carry the netbook anyway, which totally defeats the purpose of the portability of each. So the smaller and lighter the better, but not so small that it makes it impossible to read. My eyes are soooo tired of reading computer screens (I'm a programmer), so I guess I'm hoping the eink screen will help with strain/fatigue (?).

What I'm looking for is epub and pdf (I make my own ebooks at home lol) but I was wondering if it's a crazy idea to hope for something that also does audiobooks (mp3)? I looked at the new Nook Touch and Kobo Touch and they don't seem to have this. Although I really don't want to be tied to Amazon, the Kindle seems to have it (?) plus a feature where books can be read to you, which sounds intriguing. Does it really work?

Also, since I'm sort of new at this ebook thing, I'm not sure if there are things I'd want that I don't know about yet. Also, I don't mind tinkering a bit. Thoughts?

So, in summary (and somewhat in order of importance):

--best screen to reduce strain
--light as possible
--epub, pdf
--mp3 audiobooks
--not Amazon/restrictive

Thanks for your input!
nyCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote