View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #37
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Chilling is absolutely the right word, Bookwork_Girl. I am finding I can only cope with one chapter at a time because there is so much horror in what was done on both sides but especially by the Spaniards.

Spoiler:
I have just finished Chapter 12 about the second rebellion. It had been bad enough until I came to the description of a bloodbath of reprisals led by Francisco de Chaves, who "hanged men, women and children indiscriminately. ... Chaves was said to have slaughtered six hundred children under three years of age, and burned and impaled many adults."

Christians, carrying out their very own massacre of the innocents was all I could think when reading this.

And then a few pages further on, Pizarro being rebuffed by Manco, venting his anger on Manco's wife, a murder described by Herrera as "an act totally unworthy of a sane Christian man".

The torture and execution of the men fighting the Spaniards is bad enough, but slaughter of women and children? How quickly humans turn into monsters.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 04-01-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Inserting a spoiler.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote