View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #48
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
cromag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Just to explain, Microsoft's automatic updates are automatic. But ...

As a result of a pretty dramatic malware attack a few years ago I "hardened" my Windows computer. In addition to the usual anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall systems I have several other security programs, including Secunia PSI, which warns me of outdated or insecure versions of software. There have been a few times that Secunia picked up a Microsoft product that didn't have the latest patch. Presumably I would have eventually gotten an automatic update -- but I updated manually rather than wait. For those manual updates I manually called up IE.
I had this major crash of IE 7 and had to have this Microsoft "level 2" tech do a remote assistance thing to fix it--and it took weeks! (and $100) But anyway, addressing what she said, she said it wasn't good to combine security programs. She said Microsoft Essentials was plenty. But then--interestingly--when she ran a scan she used Malware Bytes (but then she un-installed it when she was done and told me I should do the same thing.) Personally I would have Malware Bytes and probably a few other things on there, but so far I have been following her advice. Any thoughts?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote