View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #3758
Scootz
Love Python, and Docker.
Scootz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard 3w (B008), kindle paperwhite 2 (90D4)
TL; DR: After trying to install this Python package, my KUAL menu disappeared (and Python didn't really install...)

I rooted my Kindle Keyboard (k3w, B008). It says it's running 3.4.2.

My first complication was, mass storage stopped working sometime after I rooted. I've learned I must have toggled the default state of USB networking (;un). This didn't much worry me, as I could mount the filesystem RW using 'sshfs' under OSX.

So,,, when it came time to install Python, I didn't copy it into the USB drive "mrpackages" - I used sshfs and copied it to (absolute file path): /mnt/us/mrpackages/. Then I used the KUAL "Helper" to install mrpackages. This took a couple minutes, so it found something... and after it rebooted I *lost* the KUAL menu and everything with it (mrpackages, screensaver).

Here were my steps:
1) Previously, I incorrectly copied "Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t3.bin" to MR packages, and attempted to install. YES, this was incorrect because it's not for my hardware or firmware. No harm SEEMED to come about from my error (impressive for the package). I even rebooted to be sure there wasn't any pending issue.

2) When I was pointed to this thread for the correct Python, I got it: "Update_python_0.14.N_k3w_install.bin". To get it onto the kindle, I copied it (sshfs) to absolute path: /mnt/us/mrpackages/ . I ASSUME /mnt/us/mrpackages/ is the same thing as USB drive's " mrpackages"...?

3) To activate install I went into KUAL > Helpers > install mrpackages. Took a few mins and it rebooted itself.

The PROBLEMs after the reboot:
i) My KUAL menu is GONE. Which means I can't get to (mrpackages, screensavers) either.
ii) And Python did not actually install. It's still showing the full bin file on the Nook:
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /mnt/base-us/mrpackages/Update_python_0.14.N_k3w_install.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8512079 Feb 19 18:28 /mnt/base-us/mrpackages/Update_python_0.14.N_k3w_install.bin

I've confirmed my jailbreak isn't affected, and I can root login over wifi. So I am not panicked, but I need some pointers what to do so as to not complicate the problem.

QUESTIONS:

Can I assume it's OK to install kual again, as if I were doing it from scratch? And that when I i do install KUAL, this may or may not restore everything that was under KUAL... but if so it's still safe to just do new installs of those things, right?

Then of course, I don't know why Python install failed. Getting Python working is my number one goal (I'm a somewhat competent developer using Python, so I'm interested in writing my own code for the platform more than I am in customizing my reader).

Sorry this contains so much detail. And thanks!
Scootz is offline   Reply With Quote