View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I only read one book published in 2016, The Romanovs 1613-1918, by Simon Sebag Montefiore, and it made my ten best list.

I've only got one five-star read, Going to the Dogs: The Story of a Moralist, by Erich Kästner. Set in Germany just before Hitler, it seems all too relevant today.

My other eight choices:

A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal, by Ben Macintyre
The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849, by Cecil Woodham-Smith
Caesar: Life of a Colossus, by Adrian Goldsworthy

Thérèse Desqueyroux, by François Mauriac
The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, by Michael Chabon
Appointment in Samarra, by John O'Hara
Flashman, by George MacDonald Fraser
The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga

I keep a running "Best" list each year and just go with it year-end. These are not necessarily the best books I read, but they stood out for me. Overall, my quality of reading and my mix were off this year, but I'm pleased that half my fiction choices were not US/UK.

Last edited by issybird; 12-16-2016 at 12:28 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote