View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #148
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK - so I've used my PW a bit more now. Forgetting about the front light, I have to say I like the device better than my Kindle Keyboard. Some of the features I just really like.

Back to the front light, if I'm outside in the sun, I turn the light to the lowest setting because despite what is recommended there is absolutely no difference between a full setting and low setting that I can detect - so why waste the battery.

However, inside is a different story. When it is quite light inside, or I'm reading next to a window during the day, I find lighting the screen halfway improves the look of the screen considerably over my previous Kindle and if I light it just right it's not "glowy" at all, just crisp text on a much lighter grey background.

When the light is more dim inside, with the previous Kindle, I would turn on the main lights and sometimes a strategically placed lamp to make sure my view was always clear and comfortable. Not required with the PW. In fact, I can leave all the lights off and just slowly dim my screen as it gets darker inside. This is nice because it means I really don't have to move to adjust my reading conditions.

At night in bed, I would have a bedside lamp on and that would be OK on my previous Kindle, but I would often get complaints. On camping trips I would use a clip on light which I'm not overly fond of. I find lights that you attach really annoying and awkward in general. Additionally (with lights off), I would often read on my Galaxy Note mobile with black background and white text on a reasonably dim setting. With the PW, the only thing that's bothered me a little is that the "glowiness" of the screen bothers me a little. I turn it right down to the recommended level and I still find it a bit of a strange read. At this stage I wouldn't say it's bad - but something I need to get used to.

I believe there are some theories about the quality of your sleep if you're looking at a computer screen just prior to sleep. I'm not sure if this is specifically an LCD/backlit issue or would apply to any screen that glows brightly enough.

OK - anything else? Well yeah, I guess there is something. Sometimes I notice slightly less crisp, lighter text in patches on the screen. It may be my eyes that are at fault here rather than the screen.

In summary, I don't think at this stage I would want to go back to a non-front lit eReader. The benefits so far are outweighing any possible disadvantages. If things change I'll report back, but hopefully there will be no need.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote