View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Doest thou deplore non-readers?

I know that in a politically correct society we are supposed to accept everybody as they are, but last Friday I was at a bar when a man in his 50's began chatting me up. He seemed smart and funny so when the inevitable question came about following him home, I thought "an older man might be more intellectually interesting fare than the normal run of 30's something". Hence, I went with him. When we got to his place I immediately noticed that he didn't have any bookshelves, so I asked him if he read on a Kindle or Sony (the latter being the dominant choice in Sweden). He looked at me dazed: "What is that?", he asked.

I just said: "Never mind, and can I use the bathroom". Once there the phone came out and a text to a friend about saving me within the next 15 minutes was sent. She called and we pretended that my parents had been in a car accident, as expected he didn't offer to drive me to the hospital (I think he smelled a ruse) and I left in a hurry.

On my way home I realized that the lack of reading, no books and no clue as to an eReader, had been a total turn-off. There was never going to be any interesting conversation, no witty repertoire, no allusions to literary characters and no reading recommendations. I felt like I would only be wasting my time, I also admit that I began to think of him as an incompetent lover (obviously the diametrically opposite might be true). I am willing to withstand scorn and condemnation for my callousness, but I am actually more curious about how the rest of you think about non-readers. Had it been a woman I'm sure I wouldn't have cared as much.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote