View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 AM   #28563
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Since I am in the process of uploading the complete fiction of Aidan de Brune to the Library, I am re-reading (and inevitably correcting) the ebooks I created back in 2017 in conjunction with Gutenberg Australia and Roy Glashan's Library.

As "shockers" or melodramas, they are all quite typical of the era, late 1920s and early 1930s. Fast moving, and no great depth of chacterisation.

I have touched on the strange life of "Aiden de Brune" in the General Discussion forum, an Englishman named Herbert Charles Cull who emigrated to Australia in 1910, settled in Western Australia for a decade, and then moved to Sydney (or rather, walked all 2,500 miles across the continent!) In a quite short span he produced some 20 full length novels and a dozen or so short stories under the name Aiden (or Aidan) de Brune, all but one published in newspapers. Two or three titles were published as books by an obscure Sydney publisher.

It's curious reading them after a gap of two years, as they do come over rather better than they did when I was extracting them laboriously from newspaper automated OCR scans. Not great literature of course: if there had been much in the way of pulp magazines in the US style in Australia then, that's where they would have appeared.

For the most part they are set in and around Sydney NSW in the teeth of the depression, with often very gritty backgrounds, and describe a Sydney before the Sydney Harbour Bridge, when the only way from downtown to the North Shore was by ferry across the harbour, and to take your car you could either drive in a vast loop west to Parramatta and back, or take your car across on a car-punt at no doubt vast expense.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote