View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
One last thing:

I'd recommend trying fonts for the chapter heading and book title that are different from the text of the ebook. If done right, it can enhance the ebook.
No, I'm sorry, I don't agree, for two linked reasons.
Firstly, you don't have any control over what font (or font size) the readers of your ebook prefer to use. If you rely on the contrast between font X (the heading and font Y (the text) what will you do if your reader has set font Z as his or her preferred font? Or has set font X as the preferred font for text?
Secondly, and probably more importantly, ebooks are not print books, and what works for print books does not work for ebooks. Because readers can choose their font and font size the focus in designing ebooks should, in my opinion, be on the content and not the appearance. I think designing good ebooks requires a totally different mind set to designing print books, just as designing websites requires a different mindset from designing print books.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote