View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
As the saying goes, the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself. That said, according to a survey conducted by Heathrow Airport, seven out of ten people going on vacation would rather schlep paper books than opt for a slim e-reader.
So? Why do we automatically judge the surveys whose results we don't agree with personally as suspect?

My reading has shifted from mainly pbooks over to mainly ebooks over the last two years, even though I have had e-readers since 2007. And the books I really want, I still buy in paper (I sometimes buy both paper and ebook versions, so I'm looking forward to Amazon's Matchbooks or whatever it's called). I like having books around me (the same way I like having CDs, only more so). A new hardcover by a favourite writer is still a reason to celebrate.

(BTW, since my PRS 505 died, I'm unable to read the LRF books (LRT?) I've bought from Sony in the early days, because the T1 and T2 refuse to open them and I can't convert or re-download them. I'm out of about 200 dollars -- wouldn't have happened with pbooks).

It's fine if most people prefer pbooks over an e-reader (and it's pretty clear that they really do once you leave communities like MR). It doesn't take away your enjoyment, it doesn't make the ebook boom any less impressive, it doesn't change anything. Let people read the way they want to. Too many people don't read at all.

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote