View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb530 View Post
I have two main concerns:
- giving her an electronic device and doing away with the paper book experience. I do realise its not about moving electronically necessarily but if I were to get one it would be with the intent of saving cash and mainly getting online content
Well, I would not worry about the pbook experience. Especially with children gorwing up these days... do they miss the scratchy vynal record experience, or the VCR programming experience, or the 8-track tape experience? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb530 View Post
- volume of books available for her age
I would appreaciate anyones thoughts.
Also, had a look at waterstones ebook store and note two things:
- books arent much cheaper (£1-£2)?
- small selection (early days)
There are thousands of ebooks available.

True, ebooks aren't much cheaper... but out-of-copyright books are since they are free. There are tons of places to get these, one of them being right here, take a look at the ebook upload sections.

Small is relative I guess. There are 1240 eBook on Fictionwise in the Young Adult section. At to that the 50,000 plus "classic" ebooks at manybooks.net, the ebooks here, on feedbooks.com... there's more than she could read in a lifetime... and every day more and more are added as new books are published and also a millions of back catalog books are starting to be added to the eco system also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote