View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm glad you're not one of those folks who just gets offended at the drop of a hat, mr.giroro! Those folks can be tough to deal with.

You make a good point about being careful how we ask things, so as not to unintentionally offend others. It's one we all can benefit from being reminded of periodically.

I know that knock-offs are illegal in most places, but I didn't think they were everywhere. For example, I've never heard of any intellectual property ... call it "infringement" that was illegal in China. (I could easily be wrong on that, but they certainly seem to have no governmental ... concerns on that score )

There's also the possibility that someone could buy such a thing without knowing it was a knock off, or without knowing such knock-offs were illegal. Okay, that's a very slim chance.

Then there are those who know full well it's illegal and just don't care. It's clear now that you're not one of those, but that's not something one can just 'tell' about a person.

And while I agree, not buying illegal knock-offs is an important ethical principle, and point of honor ("... those who are faithful in small things ...." and that ), but it's not on the same scale as say, axe-murdering, so most folks, sadly, don't see it as all that big a deal.

I may not have knowingly bought knock-off merchandise, but I'm quite well aware that I've done much worse things in my lifetime (no, not axe-murdering, but speeding qualifies, to my mind, and that's not my worst either!), so that tends to make me less harsh on the matter.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're not upset, because we try pretty hard to keep MobileRead a community that is open and sharing and respectful, and so we care when folks get upset, and want to try to help.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote