View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
My points are as follows:
  1. Grammar matters more than raw word lenght
  2. An example like 'I can eat glass (...)' is by far not complex enough to allow reasonable sampling
Excellent points.

It occurs to me that the relative simplicity of English grammar forces writers to use dialogue tags where writers of other languages might get away with grammatical hints. All those "he saids" & "she saids" pad the word count.

The original text of the Tale of Genji has no names because refering to a person by name was considered rude in the Heian court. Honorifics, humble forms and the various inflections of politeness hint at who is speaking about whom, but there are also explicit references to positions, etc. that help identify characters. In other words, there are grammatical efficiencies that are undone by social rules. Translators give the characters names. Nevertheless, it remains a pretty thick book when translated.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote