View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Book Designer crashes on opening files

I'm tearing my hair out here. I've installed and uninstalled, tried different BD update versions, disabled other programs, tried umpteen different files of assorted sizes and degrees of simplicity, and I get the exact same thing every time: Book Designer crashes as soon as it tries to open a file. It happens with HTML files, RTF files, and DOC files. It will successfully open a plain ASCII txt file, but that's the only thing that I've had any success with. After it crashes trying to open a file, Task Manager will show an instance of WINWORD.EXE running (making sure to kill it and/or reboot before trying Book Designer again doesn't make any difference versus leaving it run).

My system:

Win XP MCE with SP2 and all currently available Microsoft updates (including those for Word)
Word 97 (installed simply and solely for use by other programs, like BD)
2GB RAM
AMD Turion 64 Mobile, 1.99 GHz
Book Designer 4, currently with 2007-07-30 update

Suggestions? I've tried everything that I can think of at this point and a forum search didn't turn up anything useful. Could Word 97 be the problem? I really hate to spend the cash for a newer version of Word simply for this purpose; I'll certainly never use Word for anything else (WordPerfect is my word processor of choice).
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote