View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Trollope, Anthony: The Warden [Barset 01]. v1. 05 Aug. 07

This is for rjnagle who requested the Barsetshire Chronicles.

Anthony Trollope’s Barsetshire books “concern the dealings of the clergy and the politics that go on behind the scenes.” However, what I find so interesting about Trollope is the development of character. (I've read about 15 of his novels.)

Trollope deals with issues of politics and morality – as I inicate – but how he develops his characters through their many moral dilemmas is what I personally find so engaging. Most of Trollope’s books are huge (because they are huge in content; after all, he's a Victorian writer, ); but in The Warden, the first of his Barsetshire novels, he wrote with an unusual economy of style and grace.

Here are the six books:

1.) The Warden (1855)
2.) Barchester Towers (1857)
3.) Doctor Thorne (1858)
4.) Framley Parsonage (1861)
5.) The Small House at Allington (1864)
6.) The Last Chronicle of Barset (1867)

I’ll be working the second one much later this afternoon.

Here’s what The Warden is about, as quoted from a source:

"The book centers on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor. The novel was highly topical as a case regarding the misapplication of church funds was the scandalous subject of contemporary debate. But Trollope uses this specific case to explore and illuminate the universal complexities of human motivation and social morality."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Trollope, Anthony - The Warden [Barset 01].lrf (242.9 KB, 1223 views)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote