Thread: Sony or Nook?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
as much as I love the hardware of the Sony's, I have a tough time recommending them. Not much in the way of value.

I don't understand Sony's pricing scheme
Sony's pricing scheme is different from those of the US companies as it is for a worldwide sold reader. You pay for the device not for a bookstore. The US readers are just a vehicle for the bookstores like Amazon and B&N to sell their books, thus they 1. make the readers cheap and 2. have their own DRM scheme to prevent the normal buyer to buy elsewhere.

Sonys are sturdy and build like tanks. The battery lifespan is for 400 loads and those who have their Sonys for a number years, like the owners of 500 and 505 which were released in 2006 and 2007 are either still totally happy with them or start just now to look for new ones, most just want to replace the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Its actually a better choice than sonys bookstore. But you aren't limited to only have to buy from bn.
You are not limited to buy at Sonys bookstore when you have a Sony, you can buy at a league of shops like bookdepository, smashwords, bean, etc. Also the Sony Shop has everything the other shops have for the same price. It is a custom to bash the Sony here on the forums, but it does not deserve it. The layout is a bit outdated, but the contend is as fine as everyones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
imo, we focus on additional features so much we sometimes tend to lose sight of this. the primary function of an ereader is reading.

i think the 950 would be great as an ereader. really big screen in a relatively small device. but it is not worth $300+ to me.

my choice in sony vs nook would be the sony 650.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
I was tempted by the refurbished Nooks at 99 bucks, but I decided to go with the Sony PRS-650, and am very, Very, VERY pleased that I did.

Personally, knowing what I do now, if my budget was more limited, I would have gone with the PRS-350 in preference to the Nook.

I agree with the comments already made that the value of WiFi or 3G on an e-ink reader device is currently fairly limited.

I spend a tiny fraction of 1% of my time loading books onto the device, and much more than 99% percent of the time actually USING it to read books.

Plus, when I am looking for new reading material, I prefer a nice PC or Tablet based Web Browser NOT a tiny e-ink screen.

Also there is the fact that the current WiFi reader devices are set up to only make it convenient to buy from a single source, which in the case of B&N is often NOT the best deal price wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
I personally wouldnt pay for the 950 but thats just because I see no need for wifi access. E-ink readers are not designed to be used like a tablet or a phone, surfing the internet is not really a feature i would recommend basing a purchase off of IMO they are just not designed to do well as an internet tablet. I would only get wifi (or 3g) if you want to download books on the go or use sites like wikipedia.

I love my 650 and though it cost more then some of the other readers I wouldnt trade it for the world. I love touch screen devices and the Sony's are much better then most others. The layout is nice, the features work great. I love it. If you like the 5" screen you can usually find the 350 on sale for around 130 bucks which is a great price IMO.

Get a Sony! Those of us who own one of the new Sonys love them like crazy and wouldn't trade them in. Sideloading is no problem, you can use Sonys own software to buy books or lend them at the library and sync them to your device.

The lack of wifi is for most of us no problem. The 350 and the 650 store up to 1,200 books, the 650 also takes SDcards. My 350 currently holds 400 books and still has 1.2 GB free storage. If I am not finding myself with a lifesentence I am at a loss to imagine a situation where I should need to carry more than 1,200 books and still do some 'on the spot shopping'.

The touchscreen technic is awesome. No glare, no screen refreshing time, no fingerprints, one hand operatable and just like real book reading! The folders are collections that you can set up to your own liking, and the books in the collections are represented via the book covers.

When you buy the 950 you will be able to double tap a word and have a look into Wikipedia!

If you can afford the 950 go for it! As one board member here is fond of pointig out: Your reader is the one device you will use daily. This is very true and you will regret it if you don't buy yourself the very best you can afford.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote