Thread: Sony or Nook?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
I was tempted by the refurbished Nooks at 99 bucks, but I decided to go with the Sony PRS-650, and am very, Very, VERY pleased that I did.

Personally, knowing what I do now, if my budget was more limited, I would have gone with the PRS-350 in preference to the Nook.

I agree with the comments already made that the value of WiFi or 3G on an e-ink reader device is currently fairly limited.

I spend a tiny fraction of 1% of my time loading books onto the device, and much more than 99% percent of the time actually USING it to read books.

Plus, when I am looking for new reading material, I prefer a nice PC or Tablet based Web Browser NOT a tiny e-ink screen.

Also there is the fact that the current WiFi reader devices are set up to only make it convenient to buy from a single source, which in the case of B&N is often NOT the best deal price wise.
Its actually a better choice than sonys bookstore. But you aren't limited to only have to buy from bn. It supports epub and you would sideload same as the sony and shop basically wherever you please. With nook wifi its cheaper than than the 350 more screen real estate and you get the option of shopping wireless. Don't discount the overall convience of shopping not only from your device but from your computer when browsing online and not have to hook up your device. To be able to point click and buy and then have it on your device without having to connect and sideload, is beyond convienant.

IMHO the 350 provides 0 incentive. If it was under a $100 sure but at that price there are better options out there. There really are

Last edited by boswd; 02-23-2011 at 09:17 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote