View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 05:05 AM   #14
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythago
I've also wondered if maybe VNC (or something similar) could be used. Run a VNC client on the iLiad to act as a display for another computer that has a normal keyboard.
That could be done using linuxvnc (part of libvncserver). More information on:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/libvnc...ease_id=140150

I like your solution. It would be very easy to implement (the only needed software in the iliad side would be a vncviewer). The only catch would be how to handle the display updates... when scrolling, a full refresh would be needed to avoid too much ghosting, but when simply adding new chars to a line, a "fast" (invisible) update would suffice. As doing a vncviewer is easy, we could do one specifically for the iliad... no porting nightmares ;-).

BTW: I'm currently off-line WRT programming for the iliad, but I'd like to explore this as soon as I can (perhaps in a couple of months...). And I would love to also update to the web browser and the Ted port... ugh!

Another idea is that if/when we have a native vncviewer app for the iliad, we could also run a Xvnc server with the apps and visualize the locally with proper refresh in the vncviewer...

Last edited by Antartica; 01-31-2007 at 05:27 AM. Reason: fix uncomprehensible sentence O:-)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote