View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Many would argue that DRM is a direct attempt by Publishers to kill fair use and first sale (loaning and used book sales). IMO, they lose a lot more sleep over it than you think.
True. But as things go forward I think we'll see that ease up like it did for music, and they'll realize it's better to focus on the outright pirates.

Especially if legal codes change and governments get serious about detecting and punishing illegal file sharers on the darknets etc.

But for now they see moving to downloads and DRM as a way to attack the used market they hate, but I don't think that will work either.

If you want people to buy new instead of used, find ways to give them incentives--though admittedly that can be hard to do. An example from the video game world is Mass Effect 2. New copies come with a code to activate the "Cerberus Network" and they've been giving out free content for the game through there--an extra playable character, a couple missions, some armor and weapons, a bigger expansion pack of missions next month etc.

If you buy used, you have to pay $15 to get access the network. I think that's a clever and fair way to encourage people to buy your product new, and I had no problem buying the game new, even though I get most of my games used off of trading sites like Goozex. It's a great game, and they made it worth my while to buy it new rather than waiting for a cheaper used copy.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote