View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Downloading of copyrighted works for personal use is legal in Spain, I believe?
Last time I knew of that, it's probably not explicitly allowed, but it's not made illegal by any law or court ruling. Distributing copyrighted material for profit is illegal, just sharing or downloading is not. There was a recent sentence for someone who had distributed for profit, the reports I read of the case made it rather clear that it was the "for profit" part that made it possible. From Wikipedia:

The law explicitly allows to make private copies of copyrighted work without the author's consent for published works if the copy is not for commercial use. [...] Some consumer's associations and specialized lawyers contend that the current legislation allows file sharing (as with p2p networks) as this is not for profit and is for private use. Additionally, the Penal Code explicitly requires the intention of commercial profit in order to commit a crime against the Intellectual Property.

This is, as I said, Spanish law. US and UK laws will be different of course.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote