View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrules712 View Post
If someone would fill me in on this I would be appreciative. (I'm in the USA by the way)
Let's start off by getting the name correct - it is copyright law, not copywrite - it's a law concerned with the right to copy a work.

Quote:
If I own (legally paid for) a physical book is it legal for me to scan it into a digital file for my personal use?
Yes. This would be considered "fair use" under US copyright law.

Quote:
If the answer to that was yes; once again if I bought a physical book can I legally use a digital copy scanned by someone else?
No, you can't. Making a "fair use" copy is a strictly personal thing. That copy cannot be given away to someone else, even if they themselves own a copy of the book.

Quote:
Is a physical book and a digital version of the same book looked at like the same thing (such as CDs/mp3 files with music) or is it considered necessary to pay for both seperately if you want both.
You can make a digital copy yourself, but if you're asking if you can download an illegal copy of a pirated eBook merely because you've bought the paper book, the answer is "no", any more than, say, buying a hardback version of a book entitles you to a free paperback.

Quote:
I'm not trying to get justification for piracy, I fully intend to buy all of my books, I'm just trying to decide if it's right that we should have to rebuy books we have already paid money for just to get a different medium.
It's for you to decide whether or not it's "right". All we can tell you here is whether or not it's "legal".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote