View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #56
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMan View Post
One thing that no one has mentioned is that books are cheaper at Amazon. New releases are usually $9.99 which is $3.00 or more cheaper than other websites. Buy enuf books and it does add up.
Amazon is trying to use its clout in the market to drive demand both ways. The pricing is cheaper... if you have a Kindle. So cheaper pricing is an incentive to ebook readers to buy a Kindle to get it.

Quote:
Also, I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is about the coming forth of ePub for the Sony 505? Any ePub book I've found that I was interested in, I've always been able to find at Amazon. (Which again, are always cheaper) The only advantage I can see with ePub is that it "might" become the "standard" format which would be nice in case you wanted to move your purchased books from one device to another. But for me, I read books once and don't find it important to keep them forever.
It's important for Sony, because it broadens the options. If you want a title, you aren't necessarily tied to the Sony store, or Sony pricing. If it's available in ePub format, you can get it from any vendor who offers it and read it on the Sony Reader.

That won't help you a lot right now, but will later. ePub is in the process of being adopted by major publishers that do ebooks as their standard format. Down the road, we can anticipate just about anything on Amazon in the Kindle store to be available elsewhere as an ePub title. Book retailers compete on price among other things, and we may see attempts to match Amazon's pricing.

Sony's new firmware is both a smart and a necessary move for them. It also strikes me as a tacit admission that trying to use a proprietary format (LRF) was a failure, even if the format is technically superior to other formats out there.

It will be interesting to see how much further effort Sony puts into acquiring and issuing LRF versions of titles as ePub becomes more common, and whether at some point they'll simply standardize on ePub and drop LRF as a supported format available through Sony Connect.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote