View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #62
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@pwalker8. You can download the original opinion and order in the Apple case here:

https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...86691/download

Amazon's agency agreement with MacMillan was signed on 5 February 2010. By the end of March Amazon had signed agency agreements with all but Penguin. My comments on both Fictionwise and Books on Board from my previous post remain unaffected, as does my timeline. Books on Board did indeed stop carrying Big 5 books, but not voluntarily. Please read the Publishers Weekly article I linked to in my last post, and the quote from that article. The owner of Books on Board blamed not only the deep pockets of his competitors but also the loss of 70% of his customers after the introduction of agency.
You still have to figure out some way around the fact that Fictionwise was sold to B&N 10 months before Apple ever started talking to the publishers. After that point Fictionwise was B&N. Why do you think Fictionwise was sold to B&N for a mere $15.7 M, which is basically pocket change to the big boys, 10 months prior to the agency rearing it's evil head? I doubt it was because they were making money hand over fist. My guess is that the Pendergrast brothers saw the writing on the wall and were cashing out.

March 2010 was exactly one year from the date that B&N bought Fictionwise and was 4 months after the Nook was released (Nov 30th, 2009). That strikes me as a lot more relevant.

The other issue is that the overall market share figures don't match the agency killed the book stores narrative. Prior to B&N and Apple entering the market in late Nov 2009 and March 31st, 2010 respectively, Amazon controlled 90% of the market. That doesn't exactly argue healthy independent ebook stores given that the Sony ebook store was in operation then as well.

So you are a independent ebook seller with Amazon having 90% of the market and with B&N and Apple, both with presumed deep pockets just starting to jump into the market. That decision to sell out a year prior is starting to look pretty good.

By 2011, it was roughly 60% Amazon, 27% B&N and 5% Apple. Amazon has slowly been rebuilding it's market share and it's back up to around 83% now.

There have been many examples of smaller front runners falling by the wayside when companies with deep pockets jump into the market. Anyone remember what mp3 player they were using before the iPod hit the market? It doesn't require some convoluted conspiracy theory to explain it.

Last edited by pwalker8; 07-24-2018 at 08:03 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote