View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #12997
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
This series has become my second favorite series ever! Locked Rooms was great! Engaging and exciting to the last page! Now, with high expectations, I'll begin The Language of Bees, book 9 in the series.

I've just finished reading book 9, The Language of Bees and I want to share a short excerpt with anyone interested. The below spoiler (though it doesn't really spoil anything of note) contains a short excerpt from chapter 40 (of 47), a snippet that I really enjoyed. It occurs during the first stop (in York) of a hurried (this is 1924) flight from London to Northern Scotland.

VERY MINOR SPOILER:
Spoiler:
I let Javitz hand me down from my perch; on terra firma, I could feel my bones sway as if I’d been on a long sea voyage. I said, “It’s hard to believe we left London at dawn and we’re already in York.”

“You needn’t shout, Miss Russell.”

“Sorry,” I said. “My ears are ringing.”

“But it’s true, this is the next revolution in travel.”

Emergency speed was one thing, but I did not imagine the world was full of people eager to be cramped into place, shaken about, deafened, frozen, boiled, and frightened silly for the sake of a few hours saved. “I don’t believe I’ll invest in Imperial Airways quite yet, thank you.”

Now on to the next one, book 10, The God of the Hive.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote