View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Because they aren't going to miss it. A few bits of information on my computer will be different but the library is no worse off. This is self evident because they will never even notice whether or not I deleted the book. If my action has no potential to cause anyone harm then I don't consider it morally wrong.
Sorry, but I disagree with you vehemently. The library has bought the book on the basis that it will be "loaned" to readers, not permanently kept. If you keep it, that is just as bad a downloading a copy of it illegally. It's a matter of trust - libraries do not exist to GIVE you books, but to LOAN them to you. If you violate that trust, you're putting the entire library eBook system at risk, and reinforcing the idea that users are all criminals who will steal if given half a chance. You damage everybody by doing this, and merely strengthen the idea in the minds of publishers that DRM systems are necessary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote