View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #222
Sharklops
Sharklops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelaisquared View Post
Hi there,

I recently got Collections Manager loaded onto my Kindle Touch and I'm loving it so far. I used Calibre to do the big sorting and started to organise further on my kindle, but I've run into a snag. I had calibre sort my books by series, author and genre (using tags) but the books from the series and author sorts were also sorted by genre so now some books are in 2 or more collections when I only want them in one. I've been trying to figure out how to get calibre to exclude them but everything I've tried so far has failed. Short of deleting my tags for everything with a series (which doesn't work for Author), does anyone know of a solution? I have over 2000 books so doing it manually on the kindle isn't really a viable option, Plus I have a few authors with over 50 works which is why I want them in collected by author first and then I plan to use the hierarchy structure of CM to put those under the genre. This way I'll be able to find things more easily, and my collections won't be so cluttered.

I've attached a screen shot of how I set it up in Calibre.

Any tips or suggestions would be great. Thank you!

Update: Okay so I've managed to create a work around for the series by basically removing all tags, so now the books won't also be individually in genre collections, but I still can't figure out how to get around the author problem. I just spent 2 hours manually editing and removing things from the collections I didn't want them in but when I hit save I got a message saying there was no new data and when I sent it to my kindle and then opened up CM and imported, it did absolutely nothing. I'm completely baffled and frustrated. When I do a report, it's showing what I want and what I did manually, but that's not what I'm seeing on my kindle. (For example, Contemporary, as you can see in the screen shot is supposed to have on 68 items, but on the kindle it has 73). And yes, this is after I did "Import Collections from Calibre".
Have you messed around with Calibre's settings for Metadata Plugboards? They are tremendously helpful, as they allow you to customize how Calibre generates field information it sends to your Kindle.

For instance, I have my Title and Series fields filled in as normal in Calibre. Then, when a standalone book is sent to my Kindle it uses the Title as normal but any books that are a part of a series have their titles automatically changed to look like this:

Code:
Series Name [1] - Book Title
So, when I sort by Title on my Kindle, all the series are automatically placed together in order without having to involve Collections in the process at all.

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, if you did this then it might keep you from needing to nest collections and thereby fix the issues you're having.

To accomplish this:
  1. open Preferences and select Metadata Plugboards.
  2. to the right of Add New Plugboard, select from the dropdown lists the file format and device you want the plugboard to applied to (it's also possible to select email, content server, or save to disk as well as All Formats and/or All Devices). Note that Plugboards are given priority according to how specific they are.
  3. enter the following into the Source Template line:
    Code:
    {series:|| [}{series_index:g||] - }{title}
  4. select Title from the Destination Field dropdown
  5. Click Save Plugboard, then Apply

Note that you can use custom fields in Plugboards as well, so the things you can do with them are really only limited by your imagination.

A ton of great information about all of this can be found in the Calibre online manual, and if you have any questions just let me know!
Sharklops is offline   Reply With Quote