View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
ereader for geeky user

I'm getting tired of reading on my Android phone, particularly at night and I want an eInk screen that's not backlit. I prefer the Android readers I use most to what I see of the readers on Kindles and Kobo devices, though I have minimal experience with the latter. I want customizability and flexible line spacing options at the very minimum. I mostly read epub books that are DRM free, so I don't want or need the Amazon stuff, or even that of the other vendors. Being able to read my books that are out of anybody's ecosystem is vital, though I'd use Overdrive some.

I'd ideally like something like the Onyx Poke2 or the Nova2 because they'd allow me to install Android readers. The 7.8" screen on the Nova2 appeals to me. But I have no need for the Wacom features and it's expensive because of them. It could be that the image quality suffers because of that, too. The Poke2 isn't available until at least the end of June and its 6" screen is slightly smaller than that of my phone. I can live with that, but would prefer a little bigger. Though being able to have it in my pocket would be a plus. A 7" version of the Poke2 might be ideal if it existed.

Then there are the Kobo Clara HD and Libra H2O. I'd lose the Android option with those, but it seems that I could still read my independent epub books on them. And they're cheaper, especially the Clara HD. I'd like the option of being able to return them if I don't like them. But if I buy through Rakuten, that seems like it'll cost me more than it would be worth. I don't know what Walmart's policy is (I'm in the US). Generally, I avoid Walmart. More than generally. But I'd consider an exception in this case if their return policy is favorable.

Image quality and software configurability are important to me. I don't want sluggish performance with searches and page turning. Any recommendations on this? Other products I'm not aware of?
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote