View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greisby View Post
Well, rating sideloaded books and syncing the ratings with Calibre worked when I bought it. The capability of rating sideloaded books was removed some years ago. The only reason why they did that is to force people to buy bokks on their store. That's why I'm now searching for an alternative to Kobo.
The reason I was given for removing ratings for sideloaded books was due to concerns over privacy issues and nothing to do with forcing you to buy books from their store. Much like the screams over Adobe sending information on all the books on your computer to their servers—using an insecure protocol just to rub salt into the wounds, people do not want personal information being collected without reason.

Under PIPEDA (three provinces have provincial legislation that is pretty similar to PIPEDA), you run into the issue caused by this clause in the fair information principles:

Quote:
Principle 9 - Individual Access
Upon request, an individual must be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
Note that the Digital Privacy Act in 2015 did not change this clause and court ruling have made it clear that if an individual asks for access to their information, it must be granted in an reasonable time frame. The DPA also changed the rules on what constitutes valid consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. The DPA added a business transaction exemption which does permit Kobo to use information on ereader and ebook purchases from them without needing consent but information on sideloaded books would require your informed consent.

You want to guess what the cost of having those requests serviced in a secure fashion would be?

Perhaps, even thinking about why I used the book title Justine in my post?

Last edited by DNSB; 11-22-2019 at 02:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote