View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I actually like O'Hare. But only because I am very familiar with it. My worst experience with an US airport was only a few weeks ago, before Christmas: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport.
I hate O'Hare also, but last time I was there, they were doing a lot of construction, so maybe that's part of it. Atlanta is one of the busiest airports, with lots of delays, isn't it?

Here's a great story for you... I'm flying home on Northwest and the plane coming in to pick us up has engine problems. We wait hours and then finally they fixed the problem and we had a plane. They rush us onto the plane and get us going. After some bumping noises, the guy on the other side of the aisle shouts something like "Oh my god! That's our luggage!" You might think at first that he spotted similar luggage on a luggage cart nearby. But no! While we were starting to taxi away from the gate, our luggage was being dumped out of the plane onto the tarmac!!! After another delay, we finally take off, but after all that, I was not exactly confident that they took sufficient care when they rushed the engine repair job! Fortunately, we made it home safe.

But on my route, the flights are always crowded (every single seat taken). That weighs down the plane a bit, apparently, because sometimes I would swear we were not going to make it out of our early ascent without stalling. Maybe it's the pilots trying to save fuel or a very steep ascent, but it sure feels to me as a non-pilot like the engines are struggling to get enough speed to avoid a stall!

While I generally like the opportunity to travel, and I love to get to see those people who I work with remotely, I hate the flying experience these days. It's bad because I'm on a 2-hr Northwest flight on a tiny Bomardier commuter plane. It's so tiny that unless I have a really skinny woman sitting next to me, there's this terrible overlap of bodies between seats. I'm not that huge, but even if I fold my arms tight to my chest, I'm probably right up to the dividing line between seats or overlapping. Get a large man next to me, and it's unbearable. I'm literally forced to hang out into the aisle, and believe me - it doesn't feel great being hit by a metal drink cart!!! Plus, I really don't want to get to know businessmen that intimately, and for some reason it seems like those planes are always full of tall, large and wide men. I can't remember the last time I actually had the middle armrest. (Well, actually I do remember - it was a tiny and thin woman who was curled up in a ball because she had the plague, or whatever other illness would make someone that sick!) Everything about the seat is cramped and awkward.

And because the plane is so tiny, Northwest has gate check for the bigger carry ons, which I like, but they often leave us for extended times on the runway waiting for a gate after we've landed. And the planes get so stinking hot when you are waiting to take off before they start the engines and get some airflow.

I'm seriously considering changing to any other airlines to get out of that plane. Maybe a 5-6hr indirect flight with a connection through Detroit or Atlanta or anywhere just to get a "real" seat like in a 737 or one of the Airbus planes. It would mess up my frequent flyer miles, but would be such a relief in the air!

WARNING - (Another, and off-topic) Rant Coming - To make matters worse, on such a short flight, much of it is under the "no electronics" rule, so you can't watch a movie, read a book or listen to an audio book for much of the flight. I've resorted to bringing paper newspapers to cover that portion of the flights. E-book and electronics manufacturers should get together and come up with a government/FAA approved device logo that can be prominently placed on low-radiation devices like dedicated e-book readers so they can be used during all portions of a flight. I really feel bad for e-book lovers with multi-leg flights that are each short! It could, after all, really open up a new advantage for dedicated e-book devices in the era of smartphones and the new tablets like iPad and other tablets coming soon with Android and Google Chrome and even WinMo7 or Linux or Win7. It just doesn't make any sense for people to not be able to read or listen to music just because some electronics could interfere (it's probably more about people being annoying or interfering with flight attendents because they are on the phone, and less about electronic interference anyway). </end of rant>

Ah.... I feel much better now! I probably didn't say anything on topic, but I feel quite happy to have it off my chest!!! Now, what was this thread about anyway?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote