View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It had been years since I watched the movie, and I'd never read the book before this month, so today I rented the movie on my iPad from Google Play and watched it again on my TV via Google Chromecast. Renting movies in this manner is a brand new thing for the Chromecast device; unless I'm mistaken, it's only in the past week that you could rent and/or buy movies from GooglePlay to watch on an iPad (or broadcast them to your TV from your iPad if you have the Chromecast device plugged into your TV).

But that bit of tech announcement aside, I was amazed at how faithfully the 1930 movie followed the book. So much of the dialog was word for word, and so much of the action was scene for scene. I can't think of another book whose screen adaptation has more accurately followed the author's intention. Even details such as the men choosing their spades over their bayonets for hand to hand combat was not overlooked, although the reasons spades were preferred was not given in the movie.

That being said, I did feel the movie failed to give the full impact of the book; perhaps because books are simply better mediums to express the inner thoughts and feelings of their characters than are movies, and perhaps also to a lesser degree because books are not limited to the same time constraints as movies.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote