Thread: iPad iPad mini Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm loving the mini! I'm still finishing up the last book on my 950 and I wanted to finish it there to keep all its notes in the same place, but after that I'm switching my reading over to the mini. I've tried out reading some already on the mini though and I think it's great.

I did have one snafu though. I thought I could connect Bluetooth between the mini and Mac and well, I couldn't. It took a call to support and a surprised rep getting the answer from his supervisor that this type of Bluetooth functionality is not included on the mini, heh. I didn't mind though - I was trying to set it up to transfer files but I found I can do this wirelessly through iTunes sync instead I think - and I was just very relieved that my mini was OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
iCloud syncs your notes across all your iOS devices, but since you don't seem to have any others, this is probably not very useful to you. It also only works with books purchased from the Apple iBooks bookstore, IIRC.

However, I just found a way to do this! You CAN export your notes from iBooks to email. How to

Learn something new every day.
Yes, this is my first iOS device. I have most everything Apple now except my smartphone, and that will change when I next change out my mobile. When it first came out I didn't like how big the iPhone was. I often have my mobile in my pocket and I've went with the smallest smartphone I could find over the last few years, but I think I'm close to preferring having the iPhone instead.

Thanks for the tip on exporting notes! I think that's definitely going to come in handy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
What holymadness said. I'll add that I've not had any trouble converting from epub to mobi with calibre. Even if you decide to stick with epub, using calibre to organize your ebooks is still a great idea since none of the apps are great at organization. calibre is especially useful if you'll be buying the ebooks from a few different places.
I'm going to try to take your advice. I'm a bit slow at it all, but I think it'll be worth it. Switching devices now, what I think I've decided I want to do is to remove all the DRM from my books if I can and make it where I have an non-DRM epub copy and mobi copy (in case I ever get a Kindle or Fire, as I almost did, or want to use the Kindle app). Then I'll have a library that won't be a pain no matter which reading app or even device I might use.

Once I have my library fixed up, then I'll only have to worry about fixing new books incoming. I think it'll be more organised this way and less hassle. The only thing is my notes - they'll be locked to whatever I'm using to take them I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon
I'm anti-film. The screens on the iThings are beautiful and very hard. Even my husband the who is tough on electronics hasn't managed a scratch on his 2 year old iPhone.

Don't forget to get yourself a microfiber cloth to remove fingerprints.
You've convinced me; no screen protector. But looking over my mini, which right now is desnudo, I know I've got to get something for the back - I'm looking into what you and BeeTee-Ess recommended. I'm being very careful right now but it'd probably scratch the first time I accidentally touched my fingernail to it so I want to get it covered asap.

What I'm thinking is, a skin for the back, the Smart Cover for the front/standing it up (and it seems easy to take off if I want the mini lighter while I'm using it), and a nice little pouch case type thing to tuck it in when I'm not using it or when carrying it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For reading ePub on an iPad, the best app is Bluefire Reader. iBooks is odd at times and things that should work don't. Also, iBooks uses a rather large margin that you cannot actually get rid of. Bluefire just is better. Plus, Bluefire uses ADE so it is compatible where iBooks may or may not be compatible.
I'll try it out! I've never heard of it before but I'm planning on trying out a few different ones. I really like the design of iBooks and it has all the features I need (well, except syncing notes to my Mac) so I'm hoping maybe it'll be my de facto reader app but I want to compare a few.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote