View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'm warming up to my kpw, despite the color splotches and other issues peculiar to me. But here are some areas I think amazon can improve on

Dear amazon,

1/ slider for book navigation. It's 2012, why are we still stuck with typing in location and page number. We have a slider for the light. What's the touch screen for? See iBooks and numerous similar apps.

2/ gesture for changing the light. Like two or three finger swipe up down. I have a reader app on iPad with gesture for adjusting screen brightness. You will be amazed by how useful this is once you have it, and you will realize the reason you didn't always adjust the brightness to your liking was you were just too lazy to make the extra taps.

3/ airplane mode. Nuf said.
3b/ why do we have to exit a book to get to Settings?

4/ you obviously keep track of my reading time, so why not show those stats to me? How long have I've been reading current chapter / book.

The time remaining estimate is pretty iffy. What would be more useful is pages or screens left in current chapter. I'm a better judge of my reading speed than the software. Remember: Computers are dumb, and in most cases it takes more trouble to be smart than to give users the info to decide for themselves.

5/ you took away audio and tts to save a few bucks. Fine. But why isn't there a model with the extras? Be more like Samsung, less like apple.

6/ you who took away the home button, I sneer in your general direction. Don't take away the home button because it doesn't do much ; make it do more!

7/ previous to k5 it was easy to add custom font, tweak margin and line spacing. Now that's gone. Why? Why? Why don't you want me to have any fun, be happy? Be more like Woz, less like Steve.

8/ why is this thing so heavy?
0/ Contrast is an inhumane measure. It means the distinguishability of something. With KPW lights on, the background is white, but the text remains somewhat black/dark grey. If the black is only a thin line, doesn't matter, it's black over white, and has a huge contrast, like a black pea in the can (unwanted but distinguishable).

1/ Battery is spent changing pages. While in an LCD screen the page turn is almost the same as keeping the same page in terms of energy, rapidly advancing pages in e-ink, let's say, 2 pages a second, means you can discharge a full battery in 20 minutes.

2/ The Paperwhite capacitive screen recognizes two touches, and it is for font scaling in pinching. Doing something more would confuse the device and most humans.

3/ Amazon wants you to keep on-line, therefore it's difficult to turn wireless off.

4/ I didn't find where now (if I find, I'll update post), but remember seeing that Amazon don't keep your reading statistics and it all is device-only.

5/ Amazon thinks an e-reader should be kept simple so you can have the best one for a hundred-some bucks.

6/ Less buttons, now more like Apple, less like Samsung.

7/ It was never easy. Predefined little options, possible hacks, all the extra was under-the-table.

8/ Capacitive screen. Do you know the loads of glass it takes? Also, the body seems empowered compared to plastiquy KT. And while LED is light, it requires the connectors. More resolution doesn't come from heaven.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote