View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Douglasco
Douglasco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon monopoly or touch screen?
Track# of Amazon Ebooks(pubers) avail ...but only Kindle nowhere else...moral dilemma

So I got my K2. First impression is, I hate it. But it my first e-reader so don't let me sway you. I'm going to try out the Sony, but will be searching the ends of the earth for something like an E-ink screened PDA that has more functionality for reading AND retention. Seriously, how often is it that you are away from an electrical outlet for more then 6 hours?

Anyways. To me the K2 feels like a Mac. I know that statement probably disqualifies my credibility to most of you. But its only in one, simple aspect. They choose looks and feel over functionality. And that is a growing trend in American consumer products that I can't stand. Add that to the fact that Amazon chose to profiteer with a proprietary software when they could have instead positioned themselves as the single greatest force for increased literacy, and its enough to make me deathly ill. Especially when theres a new model in the market place that has proven plenty profitable, led by the open source revolution. They even profiteer off such good natured people who are providing us a brighter future? How? By capitalizing off the laurels of Wikipedia. They made a publishing company that all the publishing companies have to go thru, just so they could say KINDLE IS *ur* KING

Now I have a moral delimma. Keep a product and support a market that I don't believe in so I have access to the ebooks I otherwise wouldn't, or do the right thing by returning it and posting about it? Or I could secretly keep it, but post horrid things about it and tell everyone I returned it. Or I could give it to a family member who might let me borrow it from time to time, so I feel a little better.

So the real question in all of this is:
What books are available in e-ink exclusively on kindle?

And maybe a simpler more pointed question:
What publishers?
Douglasco is offline   Reply With Quote