View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #27
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Thumbs up Such an emotionally charged subject, wow !

A very wise and thoughtful suggestion HarryT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mathematically speaking, it only makes sense to pay X% of the purchase price of the item in the form of an extended warranty if you believe that there is a greater than X% probability of you needing to make a claim on the warranty.
I will only add that IMO one cannot easily guess at the probability of failure in a type of device which has so little history behind it yet.
(Especially when most of them are not made by the sellers - but instead made in Asia in the cheapest possible manner and then branded for sale elsewhere.)

It occurs to me to mention a demographical idea here too...
This comes to mind because I do a little work for a man I've known for many years and whose income is definitely and correctly described as having a number well >1 at the 6th place to the left of the decimal point.

This man's $$$ expenditure on a single work shirt, if I had it - would be enough to buy my groceries for months !
He will not even LOOK at a car priced under $60,000; regularly enjoys group dinners at a spot charging a flat $120/person where one of the guys 'picks up the tab'; thinks nothing of enjoying a $1000+ bottle of wine - and so on.
I think it is wonderful for folks to enjoy such lovely and expansive lifestyles.

I can only admire such folks though, with the sure knowledge that my own life will never include 99% of the things mentioned above and that is completely OK with me !!!

My reason to mention such silliness is that for someone bringing in above 5 figures a year buying and re-buying gadgets costing mere hundreds is only annoying because of the precious time wasted on purchasing and so forth; the actual $$$ is much less of an object.

For me - right now this minute - there is not enough $ in my wallet to buy either groceries or my next tank of gasoline....SO: I regard this subject WAY differently than would a person who has arrived in middle age with savings, a retirement fund of some sort, and an income I can only imagine if I tried.

Yes - I have chosen most of my path in life and knew it would be a low-$ one, and this is not any problem for me; it is only mentioned here at all to point at the contrasts possible within and around the subject I introduced when I posted this thread -> and all the heated-sounding replies which have shown how poorly some folks regard this very subject.

It also helps that I have personally chosen rather well in getting extended warranties on items which later justified my choices and have paid off well.

Best Wishes.

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote