View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #348
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Font funstrations...

So, I used the alt trick and tried to add in 3 custom fonts, Charis from jswolf, Gentium book from blossom, and Caecilia that I modded myself.

Charis and Gentium both look really nice, but aren't suited for the size I like to read at. I have been reading on the PW with Caecilia at size 2 (from left) and when I use Charis and Gentium, they are both too small at that size. Gentium book looks better to me up at size 5 but is a bit too big and size 4 is a bit too small. Maybe it is just the way the font is designed with the unique tall l's and h's. Charis looks really nice at size 3 and gives the stock Caecilia good competition.

So I tried to use the same custom Caecilia font I used on my old sony 505 with regular = semibold, italic = semibold italic, bold = bold, and bolditalic = bolditalic. Here is a post with a photo of how bold the regular looks on the 505 (sorry, there was no way to get a screenshot).

On the 505, it looked pretty good, and even better on the 650, but on the PW, it looks horrible and super thick with nasty display characteristics. I tried to get a screenshot of the modded Caecilia on the PW, but I managed to freeze the PW and was forced to long hold the power button to reboot. Before trying to change fonts again, I deleted the modded Caecilia to prevent freezing. I suspect when I modded the metadata with fontographer, that the PW didn't like the changes I made.

Anyways, if someone makes a slightly heavier Caecilia but same size as the stock Caecilia, please post some pics and what changes you made so that I can reproduce your results for my own use.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote