View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforsome View Post
But my client wants to convert these epubs in mobi in order to sell them in Amazon. We've decided not to change the original epub (inserting fixed measures for images), but, according to your comments, it'd be possible to insert a media query for KF8 supported devices, isn't it?
Absolutely. I tend to use completely separate CSS files for epub/mobi/KF8. That way, I can use a "master" css file to import the relevant stylesheet. I can then comment out the Amazon stuff (and remove the extraneous css files(s) if necessary) when supplying an ePub... and vice versa when building a mobi.

In the main css file (that every html page links to):
Code:
@import url(../Styles/epub.css);
/* @import url(../Styles/mobi.css) amzn-mobi;
@import url(../Styles/epub.css) amzn-kf8; */
I can then comment out the first line and uncomment the next two when building the MOBI with kindlegen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforsome View Post
And another question: it'd be possible to maintain image and caption together (in .mobi format) using tables, for example? Or another resoruce...
I'm not sure. That's always going to be an issue in reflowable documents. Fixed-Layout KF8's can place captions directly on an image, but I don't think you can mix and match: an ebook is either Fixed-Layout or reflowable. Tables may work, but with MOBIs, bad things tend to happen when tables are used to achieve a certain "layout." Tables should only really be used when you have tabular data to present. Users can often easily "break" table layouts by increasing font-sizes (when they contain text).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote