View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
Mantano

I was struck with the lurgi this week, so I haven't been able to get back to this until today.

I did have a look at Mantano and it does reproduce my test books faithfully. I haven't been able to find a lot of the other features that people mentioned though, so they're either only available in the paid version or they're not very discoverable.

I found no mention of fonts at all, for example, and I can't seem to do anything at all with images, let alone rotate them.

It's disappointing that Mantano can't incorporate basic information like page number/% progress without it overlaying the text. Similarly the bookmark area in the top right is a neat idea for accessibility, but intrusive.

Swipe up/down to change font-size is all very well, but I often activate it when changing page. I usually don't need to change font-size that often!

One other thing I've noticed is that in an epub I've been editing, an image with a border and a caption inside a div set to page-break-inside: avoid is zoomed in such a way that most of the border disappears and the caption is shunted onto a new page. It works in ADE, but not Mantano.

The lack of a concept of "Recent books" makes Mantano seem a little wooden to me. It could also do with some more hierarchy in its lists - e.g. alphabetical divisions. Scrolling through hundreds of books is tedious work compared tapping a letter to cut down the list.

Mantano's night mode is very clever (reversing out images as well), but it doesn't work for me. I'm used to CoolReader's night mode (which is really more like a theme) where you can choose the colours. Bright white text on a black background is just painful when reading in the dark. Since I do a reasonable amount of reading in bed, this is a killer for me.

Well, after that set of rambling complaints, if I get time I'll edit my first post to include a more systematic survey of what works and doesn't in different readers.
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote