View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
SmartQ 7 - my opinion

I'm not completely happy with the Q7 as an ebook reader, but I am happy with it as a MID. It has a pretty good browser, and very good Wifi. The device has good ergonomics (for me), and the 7" screen is just the right size. A 5" screen would be too small to be useful, and 9" screen would be unpleasant to carry.

The Q7 has pretty good hardware, but it falls short in the software department. Far too much necessary configuration has to be done on the command line. Suspend doesn't work. The clock runs fast. Double click doesn't work. And then there is FBReader.

I came to the Q7 from the Airpanel 100, which runs WinCE with Mobipocket Reader 4.8. FBReader comes in a distant second to MobiReader in every way (except for format support). It's usable, and I do like how I can turn the page with a screen tap, but it doesn't even have support for all html tags. (I should also mention that most of the software features I love also aren't available on any epaper based reader. The one device that comes closest is the Kindle, and that's because it's built on top of Mobipocket Reader.)

Final Word: I still think this is a device worth getting. The browsing, ergonomics, reading experience, battery life, and general hardware feel kept me using the device until it died. It died after less than 3 weeks, so that should give you pause. Even so, I still think this device is worth a shot.

P.S. I almost forgot to mention PDFs. I wouldn't get the SmartQ 7 to read PDFs. The screen is too small. I would recommend at least a 9" screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote