View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #87
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Sorry to disagree, but it is not the responsibility of the customer to perform systematic testing and provide comprehensive bug reports in order to make it easier for KOBO to fix bugs that should not be there in the first place. It's the responsibility of KOBO to test all common use cases. And from my experience most bugs reported here apply to common use cases.
Over the years, I've been involved in quite a few beta programs on both ends. An end user who gives a report that allows reproducing the bug is a treasure. At one time, we had tester's computer shipped to us so we could analyze exactly why it had the problem. At the other extreme, an end user submitted a report of "I was attempting to reprogram the upper boiler temperature limits on 5 sites at the same time and my music player and web browser crashed." was not appreciated -- the control program had nothing to do with his web browser or music player, he could not reproduce the issue and, yes, he called almost everyone in the corporate directory to complain. It is difficult for the average user to be able to give the information needed but given the most users are unable to recall exactly what they were doing when the problem happened, I did treasure those who could give a semi-coherent account of when they were doing before the issue occurred.

As for believing that any software program more complex than a "Hello World" is going to be bug free? Ranks with the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny and Fulham winning a a championship in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
I applaud your high level of tolerance regarding these bugs. However, it puzzles me that, at the same time, you obviously do not tolerate the negative opinions of other KOBO owners who choose to not ignore/accept/tolerate such bugs in a commercial product.
I don't mind people who post once that they are having a problem. Often they've received pretty good advice on how to workaround the problem if is not fixable. What I find annoying is the person who kvetches about the same bug at every chance often while claiming that another ereader has never had a bug.

"Your Kobo gives small characters at the start of a chapter? My Kobo won't reflow PDFs which makes it a piece of bovine excreta."

"You are having trouble adding fonts to your Kobo? My Kobo won't reflow PDFs which makes it a piece of bovine excreta."

"Your Kobo screen goes non-responsive and you need to power it off to get the touch screen working again? My Kobo won't reflow PDFs which makes it a piece of bovine excreta."

"Your Kobo froze when you installed the firmware for the Glo on the older Touch model? My Kobo won't reflow PDFs which makes it a piece of bovine excreta."

"You work for Kobo? You are a sack of well aged bovine excreta who is personally responsible for every issue I've ever had with a Kobo including it's inabilty to reflow a PDF."

Ignoring or accepting the bugs? Not around here. Tolerating them? That I will do until a better product comes along. And no need to feel sorry for disagreeing with me -- it would be a very boring world if everyone agreed with me all the time.

Regards,
David

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-27-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: clarity
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote