View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
What are the advantages of using PDF vs some other format?
I'd like to try it out, but I got home but my 4 day old kindle (and my wife)
are out. She might be needing one for xmas.
- better typographical control and versatility (as good as the authoring app allows), including scripts that Kindle doesn't support (Hebrew, Arabic, Indic, math/music notation etc.), your choice of typefaces etc., hyphenation.
- non textual content (graphs, tables) that can't be reflowed and which automatic conversion cannot handle.
- ability to use vector graphics that remain 'smooth' when zoomed.
- wysiwyg makes it easier to anticipate what the result will look like, even without access to the reading device in question, and page layout programs and PDF are natural partners.
- by contrast, there are no mobi authoring tools that offer wysiwyg. You are basically editing HTML - or something that gets turned into HTML - and have to compile the result to see what it is going to look like on a Kindle (or Kindle previewer app).

I'm not saying PDF is the ideal format for Kindle - far from it - just that it is an important complement to the reflowable formats we have to date.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote