View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
Thanks again BetterRed. One question I do have: With your library of over 20,000 publications, do you find any performance problems when scrolling through Calibre? Or when sorting or filtering? Or does everything perform really well at that level?
No problems at all - providing I don't Search 20,000 on Comments or Sort 20,000 on Formats, even then its only 100 secs rather than the normal 1 sec.

My only performance niggle is that the scroll bar on the main book list doesn't operate as smoothly as I'd like - eg like a excel spreadsheet with a similar number of rows, but that's as true with 1,000 books as it is with 20,000. I suspect it's a function of the GUI library rather than the database. I have another sqllite database application with about 8000 rows, it scrolls smoothly, but it won't run on Mac or Linux.

I reckon it would take 10 minutes to define a genre column in each of your libraries; set the genre value of all the books in each library to the library name (Mystery, Romance, Fantasy etc); create a new library with the genre column; copy all the books from each existing library into the new one. Then spend 30 minutes 'playing' with the combined library, if you don't like it then undo what you just did - remove the combined library, remove the genre column from your existing libraries, and carry on as if nothing happened.

Which is about as long as it took me to type this reply, because my mouse died and I had to walk down the street to buy it a new battery

BR

Addenda - maybe the 'bumpy' scrolling in the book details 'window' is not caused by the GUI library, because I just noticed the Calibre Book reader is much 'smoother' - whatever - its only a niggle, not even an annoyance.

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-17-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Add addenda
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote