View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Kindle ebooks missing table of contents

I have been under the impression that Amazon made certain requirements of ebook publishers before they were allowed to be sold in the Kindle store. One of these requirements is that the ebook have a linked table of contents. Not true!

A couple of days ago I bought two ebooks (one was free). Neither had a table of contents. I called customer service and told them this and was read a statement that said, in effect, it was up to the publishers discretion whether they included a working TOC.

Since it does take some time to build a TOC, I think we may be seeing a move to reduce the publishers cost by doing away with the TOC. Most ebook formatting is already atrocious to the point I am beginning to lose my desire to read. What we are getting is junk.

You would think that Amazon would be our ally, since we are their customer, but apparently not. I am forming an impression that Amazon managers find it easier to cozy up to the publishers since they are insulated from direct contact with their customers. (Something like the politicians cozying up to the Washington insiders at the expense of their constituents.) I wonder if Jeff Bezos is paying attention? I wonder if the authors are paying attention?

Just something to think about.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote