View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 02:23 PM   #646
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by culytera View Post
I'm looking to replace KyBook 3 since I've been getting issues with syncing my Calibre library on Dropbox. MapleRead seems like it's the closest to having most of the features I want. Firstly, I'm going to explain my setup with KyBook then I have a few questions for how to setup MapleRead the way I'd like or if there's a better setup for it.

My KyBook setup:
  • Download fic from Ao3 using FanFicFare
  • My FanFicFare settings make the first page's font large which means Calibre's auto-generated cover (using the first page) has fairly readable letters when I see the books on KyBook
  • I connect Calibre to my Dropbox folder then send the epub to my Dropbox folder
  • I have a user stylesheet installed on KyBook so the first page's style from FanFicFare's settings gets overriden, making the first page readable on my phone
  • When I finish reading the book, I delete it from KyBook which will also delete it from my Dropbox folder
  • I open Calibre and connect it to my Dropbox folder. I can then see the deleted books based on the "On Device" column
  • If I don't want to keep the copy, I delete the book from my Calibre library. If I want to keep the copy, I add a "Finished:yes" tag to the book

Attachment 194653

I hope I was able to explain my setup properly. It's rather particular, but I'm willing to adjust for MapleRead. I'll get used to it eventually.

For my questions about MapleRead:

1. Does its library view have a large cards option (or something similar)?

- The large cards options lets me read the summary of the fic from the book's icon on the library view. On MapleRead, the book's cover is too small on the current available views.

2. Is there a way to setup my library on MapleRead so that when I delete the fic after I finish reading it, I will easily know which ones are finished when I open Calibre?

3. Can I upload my own font to MapleRead?

4. Can I use Dropbox as a library server on MapleRead without having to import the books through the Files app?
iOS (since 13 I think) lets you install additional fonts that can be used by any app, but to my knowledge no reading apps have taken advantage of this capability (not even Apple Books).

IPadOS supports multiple documents as well. Why don’t any reading apps support this (and I don’t mean the kludge of running 2 ‘editions’ side by side in Split View like you can with Mapleread SE and CE)? It’s probably enough for most people but it would be cleaner to support it with a single app, and with that, more than 2 instances.

I haven’t tried Mapleread yet myself but it does have calibre support, and should obviate need to use Files. Having finally calibre-ized my ebook library, I’m looking for ways to leverage it, so I’ll probably give it a try myself.

I cannot tell from the App Store description but it seems you should be able to AirDrop .ePub/.PDF files and also use wireless file transfer initiated from PC/Mac if you have iTunes/Finder wireless access for the device set up.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote