View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
when I click V in calibre it shows me a winzip folder (it imported as zip).
That's normal - html files are grouped into a zip file to keep them together.

Quote:
If I open the book file in there the em dashes and apostrophes are replaced with squares.

At that point any converting I do won't help.
Possibly, but not certainly. I have lots of programs that show squares whenever they can't decide the encoding. To be sure, you have to use a hex editor and look. Even my hex editor has problems. If I look at the file in hex mode, there is an adjacent window that's supposed to show ASCII. It shows single smart quotes correctly, but the double smart quotes both appear as the right double quote. In text mode, it has even more problems, and this is all inside the same program!

Quote:
So is there a way to import html without losing emdashes and apostrophes?
My test of smart double and single quotes showed correct importing into Calibre. (Characters 0x91-0x94 ) What encoding/hex values for emdashes did you use? I tested 0x97 (emdash) and that worked.

Last edited by Starson17; 06-16-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote